0

An almost-broken ankle

Posted by Tracie on 1/15/2010 10:42:00 PM in , , , ,
So today I was going down the stairs at school, stepped on my foot/ankle WAY wrong, and fell down the last few stairs onto the ground. I knew I could not get back on my left foot. I felt something was very wrong.

Everyone was really nice. Lots of people were around. A couple of guys picked me up and put me on a bench, and Dr. Crenshaw, one of my professors, walked by and called campus security. We don't have a health office with a nurse or anything at DSC, but the head of campus security is an EMT. So he came and wrapped my ankle up really well with an ice pack and everything. Dr. Crenshaw and the campus security kept asking me if I wanted an ambulance, but I thought that would be ridiculous...I knew I needed to go to the emergency room, but an ambulance is way expensive and I knew I wasn't going to die or anything.

In fact, my tolerance for pain surprised me (in a good way). I get migraine headaches, and I've been forcing myself to just continue whatever I'm doing through the pain without pain meds unless I absolutely need them. Don't get me wrong, my ankle hurt like heck earlier (and still hurts now) but I didn't scream or cry or use profane language or anything.

So I called my boyfriend and he and one of his friends came and picked me up. Campus security had Brandon actually drive on the sidewalk and back up to like 3 feet from the doors of the building. So Brandon and his friend Josh carried me to the car and took me to the emergency room.

At the ER they did an x-ray and determined my ankle is not broken. However, it is sprained very, very badly and the ligaments are torn. I was sent home with crutches, a splint-sock thing, and narcotic pain medication (which I have not needed). I've been instructed to baby my ankle for the next few days, and will be getting physical therapy.

Thank goodness I have health coverage, or this whole thing would have bankrupted me.

The injured ankle is my left ankle, which means I can still drive, but I am very, very unstable on my crutches. I've never had the best balance - in fact, I'm a bit of a klutz - but I'll do my best. I hope I don't fall again, but maybe if I do I'll get the wheelchair I asked for :p

|

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 Words and Music All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive Supported by Blogger Templates.